upReach has given me the confidence to go out there and seek great opportunities With the support and guidance of my mentor, I was able to set goals for myself and aim for higher opportunities at big City law firms without the fear of not being good enough.
The Law Springboard Programme
Exclusively sponsored by
What is the Law Springboard?
The Law Springboard is a structured programme of careers support, working with 90 undergraduates each year from underrepresented backgrounds.
It is designed to equip these undergraduates ("upReach Associates") with relevant information and experience of corporate law and the legal sector, to enable them to succeed in securing work experience, training contracts, and other career opportunities.
The Springboard, launched in 2019, is possible through our partnership with the international law firm Slaughter and May. Their support allows these undergraduates to build their skills, knowledge and experience in order to pursue a career in the legal sector, and to realise their full potential in applications.
How do you support students on the Law Springboard?
Undergraduates on the Law Springboard programme benefit from personalised one-to-one support, which helps them with application and interview preparation. They also access a wide range of employer events, mentoring by lawyers and work experience opportunities.
We encourage each student on the programme to complete 8 different steps as part of their participation on the programme, to give them the best chance of success:
- Attend an Employer Insight Day, hosted by Slaughter and May or another partner employer
- Participate in a Skills Workshop to develop essential soft skills
- Submit a draft of their CV for review
- Submit an application or cover letter for review
- Pass a Mock Interview
- Complete a 'Law Career Course' on upReach's online platform, to develop essential sector knowledge
- Complete two Online Tests to maximise success in the application process
- Participate in three online webinars (to develop career knowledge and commercial awareness)
What are the main highlights of the Law Springboard Programme?
During the programme, a number of events take place designed to provide students with an insight into Slaughter and May. These include:
- The Law Springboard Launch Event: an opportunity for the 90 undergraduates to visit the firm and network with its employees.
- A Slaughter and May Insight Day: an opportunity for 50 additional undergraduates to learn about the firm's opportunities and application processes.
- The Slaughter and May Professional Experience Week: a one-week work experience opportunity offering 25 undergraduates a chance to work alongside both an associate and trainee from the firm.
In addition to the above, those on the Law Springboard have the chance to be paired with a Slaughter and May mentor in order to receive personal and professional development support and advice from an expert within the legal sector. Last year, 50 upReach Associates were mentored by a Slaughter and May solicitor.
What have been the main successes of the first Law Springboard Programme so far?
- So far, undergraduates on the Law Springboard have made 24 successful applications to legal work experience and vacation schemes.
- So far, undergraduates have secured offers from 16 different firms, 4 of which are Magic Circle law firms.
- As part of the 2019 programme, 25 undergraduates completed work experience at Slaughter and May.
- 100% of those undergraduates who attended the 2019 Springboard events would recommend them to another upReach Associate.