“upReach built my confidence and opened up career paths I had never considered before”
Limited places are currently available on our 2019-20 programmes
upReach have been shortlisted for the Charity of the Year (<£1m) Award to be announced in October
Become an upReach Member and help boost social mobility for £3 per month.
upReach has been "Highly Commended" at the FSI Small Charity Big Impact Awards 2019!
“Without upReach I would never have had the confidence, resilience, or capacity to apply”
aspire - inspirational videos and guide to post-18 options for sixth formers, with the aspire toolkit helping teachers broaden career and university horizons
"upReach help disadvantaged students from across the UK to realise their potential. Our team of Programme Coordinators provide a highly personalised programme of support to each undergraduate student (who are known as an "upReach Associate”). Through successful partnerships with 40 top employers and universities, we offer Associates access to a comprehensive range of opportunities and activities to broaden their horizons, understand career pathways and develop the skills, networks and experiences needed for career success. We collaborate closely with other charities in our sector to maximise our joint impact. From working with 400 Associates in 2015, this year we’ve supported over 1300, while maintaining our personalised approach and expanding the support offered. In July 2019, we were shortlisted for Charity of the Year (income below £1m) in the prestigious Charity Times Awards.
upReach is a dynamic place to work. We have invested in class-leading technology to facilitate, deliver and evaluate our programmes. The upReach Graduate Employability Framework (GEF), against which all of our activities are mapped, enables students to understand their employability and plan their learning. We built getEmployable to provide all students with a means to measure their employability using the GEF. Our contextualised grade model, REALrating, is used to better understand academic potential rather than relying on grades alone. We host the Student Social Mobility Awards held annually at the House of Lords, celebrating outstanding student success, and providing role models which we showcase with our aspire videos and guide sent to 2,500 state sixth forms. Thank you to all our partners, funders and collaborators for their shared commitment and support, and to our Advisory Group for their words of wisdom. We look forward to continuing to work together in the years ahead to transform social mobility in the UK."
John Craven, Chief Executive, upReach
- Eligible students join upReach as an Associate while at university, receiving a free intensive programme of personalised careers support. We help Associates understand career options they may never have considered, and develop the skills and confidence to succeed, through a unique programme of exclusive events and activities. Those securing a graduate job typically earn £5,500 more than an average graduate, and are 5x more likely to receive an offer from one of our Partner Employers. To apply, click here. If you’re not yet at university, click here.
- Our contextual data platform, REALrating, helps students better understand their academic potential than grades alone.
- The upReach Graduate Employability Framework (GEF) was designed in collaboration with our Advisory Board, Partner Employers and Universities. It comprises of ten key attributes that top employers are looking for - beyond getting a degree. To receive a free Personal Employability Report, visit getEmployable to complete a free assessment of your employability, helping you understand your strengths and weaknesses. All Associates complete this, and we use it to design bespoke programmes of support.
- upReach are incredibly grateful for the generous support of our alumni and other individuals who play an essential role in our efforts to boost social mobility. There are several ways to support the Charity.
- Individuals - Monthly direct debits enable us to provide support to additional students, while one-off donations can help provide more opportunities for students, for example by covering travel expenses to a Career Academy. Please click here, or contact us for more information.
- upReach Development Advisory Board - The upReach Development Advisory Board was established in 2018 to enable individuals to support our mission to boost social mobility in the UK. We are very grateful for the investment that these individuals have made which has enabled upReach to accelerate our growth. Each board member is invited to help us develop our long term strategy and commit to making an annual contribution to the Charity for at least two years.
- Recruitment - We help employers attract more applications from high calibre students from less-advantaged backgrounds. Each partnership is unique, crucially, our professional development programme means that upReach applicants are typically 5x more likely to make a successful application. We coordinate insight days to raise awareness of and demystify opportunities, and partner to deliver turnkey work experience and paid internship programmes. Employees mentor Associates and deliver sessions at an upReach Career Academy. Employers can use our contextualised data model, REALrating.co.uk to ensure they are selecting on potential, not privilege.
- Corporate Social Responsibility - Our partnerships are diverse and tailored to the organisation priorities. Several organisations fund students to participate in our Rise programme. With others, we connect existing outreach work with schools to achieve longer-term objectives, tracking outcomes and measuring impact. We have had successful Charity of the Year partnerships raising vital funds for our work. Our Mentoring Programme broadens students’ horizons, and includes professional mentor training, providing a two-way learning opportunity.
- Diversity & Inclusion - We deliver training and provide advice on a consultancy basis. Please contact us for details.
- Widening Participation - Supporting Progression - We help universities achieve their WP progression goals, by working with a cohort of students to improve the chances that they secure and sustain professional graduate employment.
- By closing the employability skills gap that exists before students start at university, upReach help to close the progression gap whereby those from less-advantaged backgrounds are typically less likely to secure a graduate job and earn 10%-17% less than others doing the same course.
- Universities using getEmployable.org, the employability assessment tool utilising upReach's Graduate Employability Framework, can engage students in thinking about their employability at an earlier stage, understand student needs, target interventions effectively and evaluate their effectiveness.
upReach works to create the conditions for undergraduates from less-advantaged backgrounds to access and sustain top graduate jobs. Our Rise and Aim programmes currently support over eight hundred students from less-advantaged backgrounds.
upReach helps students build their knowledge, soft skills and networks, and gain valuable work experience.